Diamond Certification | Boca Raton, FL
Certified Diamonds in Boca Raton
A diamond engagement ring may be one of the biggest purchases you’ll ever make. It is an emotionally significant purchase as well as a financial milestone. You should consider the importance of documentation when you’re buying a diamond; this way you will know the diamond you’re getting is exactly the same quality that you’re paying for. When looking for certified diamonds in Boca Raton, look no further than Devon's Diamonds & Decor.
Choosing Between Certified and Non-Certified Diamonds
Many customers shopping for a diamond engagement ring in Boca Raton know they should buy from a retailer who only sells certified diamonds. Although, few people understand what distinguishes a certified diamond from a non-certified diamond. That being said, there are some differences and we are here to break them down for you so that your next diamond purchase is one you feel confident in.
Certified diamonds are diamonds that have undergone quality analysis by a trusted gemological laboratory and have been issued a lab report, commonly referred to as a “certificate or report". Using traditional industry tools, the team creates a report that includes the diamond’s dimensions, color, clarity, symmetry and other characteristics. Not all diamonds are certified, but all diamonds can be.
Certified diamonds typically have a slightly higher price because of the cost to have a lab certify a diamond. They aren’t inherently better than non-certified diamonds, but they tend to be a higher-quality because the retailer has chosen them for their documented quality.
Who Certifies Diamonds?
- GIA: Gemological Institute of America
- EGL: European Gemological Laboratory
- AGS: American Gem Society
At Devon's Diamonds & Decor, we mainly sell diamonds certified by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). GIA is a not for profit organization and is the organization most often used by respected jewelers across the country for certifying diamonds. What we have noticed is that GIA is more strict with its grading and as a result, customers tend to prefer GIA certified diamonds in Boca Raton because they know that GIA sets a high standard.
In addition to their certification or reporting process, this organization is also known for creating the “4 C's” of diamonds. The "4 C's" are widely recognized as the important features to consider before purchasing a diamond. GIA also maintains an online database where any user can search for diamonds by an ID number.
What Does a GIA Report Tell Me?
A diamond certificate (professionally know as a grading report) contains the necessary information for determining the quality of a diamond. Understanding your diamond’s report is important and these are four things you should understand:
- The GIA Diamond Grading Report includes an assessment of a diamond’s 4Cs – color, clarity, cut, and carat weight – along with a plotted diagram of its clarity characteristics and a graphic representation of the diamond’s proportions. Click here to learn how to read a GIA Diamond Grading Report
- A GIA certification is the scientific blueprint of a stone’s exact quality characteristics. It does not assign a value to your diamond. For value, you need an appraisal.
- The GIA laboratory issues diamond grading reports for loose, natural diamonds in the D-to-Z color range that weigh 0.15 carats or more. Certifications are only performed on loose stones, but the report will carry on with the diamond after it is set.
- You can ensure that the report you are shown is the correct one for your actual diamond by looking at the laser engraving on the diamond’s girdle. This is where the GIA report number is shown. Each stone is unique, making it nearly impossible for any stone to have the exact same details on the certification as another stone.
Benefits of Shopping for Certified Diamonds
Shopping for certified diamonds in Boca Raton is a benefit in itself. When you shop for a certified diamond that will be the center stone in your custom engagement ring, you remove a lot of the guess work. Viewing a diamond’s report will give you the peace of mind that you might not have if you try to choose from a selection of non-certified stones.
Furthermore, shopping for certified diamonds can educate you about diamonds and give you a better appreciation for them. When you start to understand the criteria listed on the diamond grading report and compare grades to what you see with your naked eye, you will slowly begin to learn the differences of characteristics like color and clarity.
Making sure the diamond you’re eyeing comes with a GIA diamond grading report is like getting an inspection before you buy a house or car. It’s a smart step in your purchase process – and many insurance companies will require a GIA grading report as a basis for insuring your diamond.
Certified Diamonds at Devon's Diamonds & Decor
At Devon's Diamonds & Decor, we recommend diamonds certified by GIA because we know their grading is reliable, consistent and trustworthy. Visit our jewelry store in Boca Raton and we will help you choose the perfect diamond.