The Complete Guide to Wedding Bands
A wedding ring or wedding band is a ring that indicates that its wearer is married. Depending on culture, a wedding ring is typically worn on the base of the left or right ring finger. It is believed that the first examples of wedding rings started 6,000 years ago from the Ancient Egyptians. They considered the circle to be a symbol of eternity and the ring served to signify the perpetual love of the spouses. This is also where the tradition of wearing wedding bands on the ring (fourth) finger of the left hand originated. The Ancient Egyptians believed that this finger enclosed a special vein that was connected directly to the heart. Hence, the romantics among us choose this as the place to wear their ring. Since then, science has corrected this theory, but the tradition still lives on.
BEST METAL FOR WOMENS WEDDING RINGS
WEDDING RINGS FOR WOMEN
When it comes to buying wedding bands in Boca Raton the options are endless. No matter what your style, here at Devon's Diamonds & Decor, we can custom create the wedding ring of your dreams. Once you have decided on the precious metal of choice, there are a variety of different setting styles for you to choose from...
Plain Wedding Bands
Eternity bands are made up of a precious metal and are set with an unbroken line of diamonds or colored gemstones, which represent never ending love. Due to the intricacy of the full eternity design, make sure that when ordering the ring that it is the correct size because most eternity bands cannot be resized once they are made.
Prong-Set Wedding Bands
Vintage-Inspired Wedding Bands
Stackable Wedding Bands
Pavé Wedding Bands
Channel-Set Wedding Bands
Curved Wedding Bands
WEDDING RINGS FOR MEN
THE WIDTH OF A MEN'S WEDDING BAND
THE METAL OF A MEN'S WEDDING BAND
- GOLD wedding bands are a traditional classic and very popular among grooms. As a precious metal, gold maintains its value, and can even increase in value over the years, making it an extremely smart investment. Gold wedding bands are available in either 14 karat or 18 karat and in three colors: white, rose, and yellow. Gold is a soft and malleable metal, so it can be resized. However, it’s malleability also means that it’s less durable than some of the other metals and will show scratches over time. Gold is not hypo-allergenic, so it is not recommended for those with sensitive skin.
- PLATINUM is a rare metal and holds a certain level of prestige. Similar to gold, Platinum is also a precious metal and maintains its value over the years. It also is soft and prone to scratching. Unlike gold however, it is 100% hypoallergenic and highly recommended for those with metal allergies or sensitive skin. Platinum is dense and therefore has a nice weight to it and has a natural silvery grey color.
- TUNGSTEN bands are growing in popularity with today’s grooms as it is less expensive than gold and extremely scratch resistant. Tungsten is available in a variety of colors and the rings have a modern, sleek look. Tungsten is very dense and much heavier when compared to the other metals. Tungsten cannot be resized so you really want to be sure you have the perfect fit. Tungsten is very resilient and a great choice for active people, although we never recommend wearing wedding bands (or any jewelry) when participating in any demanding activity that involves the active use of your hands.
THE FIT OF A MEN'S WEDDING BAND
THE FINISH OF A MEN'S WEDDING BAND
- High Polish: A high polish finish is the most popular finish for men's wedding bands in Boca Raton. High polish gives the ring a reflective, shiny surface; creating an attractive look. Although, some polished metals (like white gold) can be prone to scratching.
- Satin (Matte): A satin (or matte) finish on men’s wedding band styles are similar to high polish in that it gives the ring a smooth and shiny look. However, it doesn’t reflect light, cutting down on the flashiness for those guys who don’t want to draw too much attention to their rings. A common style is having a satin finish in the center with a high polish finish on the outer edges.
- Hammered: A hammered finish looks as if a tiny hammer has pounded the metal to create a textured effect. Hammered wedding bands are popular with men who want a unique, eye-catching look.
THE STRUCTURE OF A MEN'S WEDDING BAND
Men’s wedding bands are all circular, but there are multiple options when it comes to structure.
- Dome (Comfort Fit): A dome structure on a wedding band gives it a rounded appearance on the surface and edges of the ring. It is crafted using extra metal to make the inside of the band slightly domed resulting in a very comfortable fit. At Devon's Diamonds & Decor, we generally recommend comfort fit wedding bands to our customers but it's really a matter of preference.
- Flat: A flat shape on a men’s wedding band is exactly what it sounds like: A band with no curves and straight edges on the ring. This wedding band is a lot less form fitting and comfortable for the wearer.
- Concave: A concave structure is the opposite of the dome. The surface of the ring curves inward in the middle, creating a unique shape.
THE DETAIL OF A MEN'S WEDDING BAND
Not long ago, there were very few options in men’s wedding bands beyond the choice of metal. These days the options are endless. While some men still prefer the timeless plain wedding ring, others want to infuse their wedding ring with their personal style for a more contemporary or detailed look. A few options for detailing include diamonds, milgrain and carving.
Diamond Wedding Bands
Milgrain Wedding Bands
Carved Wedding Bands
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT WEDDING RINGS
TO MATCH OR NOT TO MATCH?
This really is a question only you can answer as a couple. There is no right or wrong decision.
- Matching Wedding Bands: If you and your partner want to honor tradition then you can choose to have matching wedding bands. After all, matching wedding bands are thought to be symbols of equality, togetherness, and similarity between you and your spouse.
- Complementing Wedding Bands: If identically matching isn’t necessarily your thing, but you and your partner would like for your bands to complement one another, consider meeting somewhere in the middle. For example, you can choose to share the same metal type or color but include different designs.
- Non-Matching Wedding Bands: If you and your partner prefer to express your own individual styles, then non-matching wedding bands are the way to go. Non-matching wedding bands show that you both bring individuality to the relationship you have entered into.
SHOULD WE HAVE OUR WEDDING BANDS ENGRAVED?
DO WOMEN WEAR THEIR WEDDING BAND ON THE INSIDE OR OUTSIDE?
Tradition suggests that the wedding band should be worn inside of the engagement ring, so it’s closest to your heart. But really, it's your choice and you should wear it however it feels most comfortable.